Thursday, October 19, 2017

Inspired by Pat Conroy

My morning read: A Low Country Heart by Pat Conroy. My Beach Music was signed by him during a  good-bye Talladega party in the mid 90s.  Our family was again following me to a new locale.  Pat was charming and "became the room "as Sandra, his wife, describes in her introduction to this new read. Sandra, is the sister, of Nancy, who is now one of God's saints like Pat. Nancy, provided much love and light while we were neighbors in Talladega. I have a great story about bathing a cat that occurred at Nancy's house.  Another day.  Let's just say, "I don't ever have to bathe a cat again!!"

He's inspired me to blog again because this book is a collection of his blogs.  He too wasn't enamored with technology. However,  I do have a leg up on him with journaling.  Lucy said when we were packing up my Mom's house. "I bet your Mom said every Christmas,'oh thank you, Karen, for another journal'." All the journals I'd given my Mom were neatly gathered and bereft of words except the ones I'd inscribed in my annual inspirational Merry Christmas sentiment.  I took those journals home and am currently using them for myself...I always give ones that I'd like to have. Method...When we moved Lucy recently from across town to be my neighbor...guess what? Journals with inspirational messages that were given as Christmas, birthday, congratulations gifts.  All bereft sans the page or two where she appeared to have truly tried to "get into" journaling.

While I'm typing my figures are itching to pick up my pen.  Recently my thoughts have turned to creating a library spot for my journals.  Ha.  I must have read somewhere that someone did that.  My Mom did but of course her's were empty. Most of mine are very well written perhaps even somewhat Pat Conroyish. Funny, filled with interesting antidotes that will later fill my books, right.

Perhaps the best thing about blogging is that you get to hit that publish button and others do read it. You, my blog followers, aren't the ones who approach me in Wal-mart or the halls of the nursing home and tell me that you miss my News articles.  Those accolades inspire me.

We have a new editor at the Valley Times- News. He isn't aware of what a gifted columnist I am.
Our champion challenger of all things sacred, Cy Wood, is no longer editorializing Valley life. He is the reason I'm doing my "read through the Bible in a year". He threw down the gauntlet.
 I'm in 2 Chronicles, started August 1st.  Here's your challenge...It's pretty interesting and let's you know the world does go on despite our inability to follow God's lead.

Life is grand xs 3 here on the Hooch. DukeBoy aka Paw plays with TNT everyday.  Swinging has nearly replaced car riding as a way to get these guys to nap. Luckily they are still young enough for bucket swings. It's quite sweet when their little heads finally drop into the coma of swing sleep.
Our newest sweetie is crawling and "being the room" with his charms and dimples. We have a plethora of dimples on the Hooch.

Peace for your day. Pat, I hope you have met my Dad and he's telling you some of his stories. I regret that I didn't listen as much as I could have.  Glover, DukeBoy's Dad, has some great ones too.
Thanks for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment