Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Ordinary + Extra in a heartbeat or two

This is a copy of my news article for today---it's blog style--hope all of you have a great day.
Would love to have you come to our event.  
                                              one side of my extras

Rain…ok...I washed both cars, well M& M Carwash in West Point did.  Thanks guys.  They do a great job. Your car will thank you too.   Back to the rain idea…I watered the front and back gardens, it helps if I don’t think of myself as spending time watering a “yard”.  “I’m sorry I didn’t call you back about the important _______but I was watering my yard.”  No, no, no.  “My garden just had to have a good soaking so I just spent time with my flowers.”  Helps if you add extra syllables to garden and flowers while explaining your behavior.  After all I am the irrigation system at my home.  If you need an out you may borrow my line.   Back to rain.. We need some rain and usually if I wash the cars and water the gardens it helps.  I will also try to remember to leave my umbrella at home today. Unfortunately, we are frightened to death about our day ahead due to the impending, dangerous, thunderstorms headed our way according to the weather channel.    I don’t mean to make light of the weather reports.  I appreciate knowing when my life might be in danger due to inclement weather.  Just ask Hedgie Girl.  I do my best to pass on this important information to her in case she needs to grab up the little Double Hedgies and head for cover.  Don’t ask her about all my lightening warnings.  Yes, lightening can come in a window! Watch the weather channel….it happens…just because I’m over 40 and it’s never happened to me doesn’t mean it can’t… alright…I’m over 50…I am not over 60 yet…not until October.  I really just want rain.  I don’t need all that oak tree on the house windy stuff.

  It’s July and it’s a struggle to stay out of the dismal pit of brown structures in the garden which once were lovely lilies and happy daisies.  On Saturday in Pine Mountain across from the Liberty Bell Pool, Duke Boy and I went to a Farmer’s Market and I bought a Hot Papaya Echinacea, that’s a flower, so I could spruce up a brown spot right at my front door.  Hurrah.  Now I have a happy place there again thus the need for rain.  Check out that market…wonderful produce too and nice folks.

I have a plan to help you beat the lack of rain in August.  It’s an indoor picnic at First United Methodist in West Point.  The Pastoral Institute is having our annual fundraiser.  The Hedgies, aka Lucy and Cody Royster will be presenting the program, “Join us on the Journey” and sharing their love story. Yes, they are kin to me but I wanted folks to know the joy in our family due to new life or lives—two of them—and their story is extraordinary—that’s what you get when you add extra to ordinary.  My day is spent listening to people who lives go from ordinary to extra---birth, marriage, death, divorce, job change, college, and parenting. The monies from this program help us keep these counseling services in our community.  If you’d like to purchase a table for 8 the cost is $300.  Individual tickets are $35.  Table sponsorship is $375 and helps defray our meal costs.  Sid Lockhart is the chef and if you’ve ever had one of his hamburgers then you know you’re in for a treat.  Call 334-768-2341 to make a reservation or for more information. 

Karen Erwin-Brown is the director of the Pastoral Institute in Valley, AL.  She provides individual, marriage, and family counseling by appointment only.  Call 334-768-2341 for an appointment or more information.  She also hobbies a booth at Bluffton Antiques in Lanett where a great sale is taking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment